We are excited to announce the addition of Dr. Michael Gowen to the United Skin Specialists team!
Dr. Gowen is now seeing patients at our Skin Care Center of Southern Illinois in Mount Vernon location.
Dr. Michael F. Gowen is a dermatologist who specializes in all things skin. He will diagnose and treat all skin disease, provide cutaneous surgery for skin cancer including Mohs, plus enhance patient’s aesthetics with cosmetic dermatology services.
Dr. Gowen completed his undergraduate degree in Neuroscience from the University of Pittsburgh, where he graduated summa cum laude and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He then obtained his M.D. and M.B.A. from Tufts University School of Medicine, where he graduated as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Society. Dr. Gowen recently completed his dermatology residency at Yale New Haven Hospital.
Dr. Gowen has received the following honors:
- 2018 Massachusetts Medical Society: Medical Student Scholar Award (April 2018)
- Ross Trust Scholarship (December 2017)
- American Medical Association Foundation Seed Grant Research Program recipient (March 2017)
- Melanoma Research Foundation Medical Student Research Award (March 2017)
- American Skin Association Medical Student Grant Targeting Melanoma & Skin Cancer Research (January 2017)
- Paramarkou Scholarship, Tufts University School of Medicine (2013-2018)
- MED Scholarship, Tufts University School of Medicine (2013-2016)
- Summa Cum Laude University of Pittsburgh (May 2012, GPA 3.92)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society (May 2012)
- University of Pittsburgh Department of Neuroscience Research Excellence Award (May 2012)
- American Physiology Society David S. Bruce Excellence in Undergraduate Research Award (April 2012)
- American Physiology Society: David S. Bruce Outstanding Abstract Award (January 2012)
- American Physiology Society Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (Summer 2011)
- University Honors College (UHC) Summer Abroad Fellowship (Summer 2011)
- University of Pittsburgh Honors Research Assistantship (Fall 2011)
- Pitt Program Council Book Fund Scholarship (Fall 2011)
- UHC Chancellor’s Undergraduate Research Fellowship x 3 (Spring 2011, Fall & Spring 2010)
- UHC Chancellor’s Undergraduate Teaching Fellowship (Fall 2010)
- UHC Chancellor’s Undergraduate Research Fellowship (Spring 2010)
Dr. Gowen is excited to join and continue the tradition of excellence at Skin Care Center of Southern Illinois in Mount Vernon. His passion for his patients and their healthcare outcomes shines through with every interaction he has with them!